Samba idl and warnings in default build

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 31 20:53:10 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-10-31 at 15:34 -0500, Steve French via samba-technical
wrote:
> After noticing a bug slip through because of a compile warning I
> didn't notice - I took a look at the normal compile warnings during
> Samba build and noticed that Samba is generally pretty clean (although
> not as strict as most kernel components) about not having too many
> compile warnings, with a few exceptions.   The one area where there
> seemed to be huge number ( > 200) warnings - was generating the idl
> files.
>
> Any idea why so many warnings in generating the idl in the normal
> Samba build (Just tried this on recent Fedora with v4-7-test branch
> and hit > 200 idl generation warnings)?  It can make it harder to spot
> real bugs in our code (as I just experienced yesterday).

Just that our IDL uses samba-only features of PIDL that are not in
MIDL, so we warn on those.

The question is more should we quiet the warnings rather than changing
a lot of IDL in my view, it quite the same as C where we have a really
good standard to measure against.

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba