Work on SMB3 persistent handles

Christopher R. Hertel crh at samba.org
Tue Oct 24 18:17:40 UTC 2017

On 10/24/2017 10:29 AM, Michael Adam wrote:
:
:
> Chris, feel free to use / merge / discard as you see fit.
> (I'd guess Metze would agree).

I will do my best to merge the solutions so that they can be applied against
master.

> Also I'd be interested to see any WIP patches of yours,
> no matter how incomplete.

git://git.samba.org/crh/continuousavailability.git

That code is testable as-is.  It has no negative impact on the rest of
Samba, and succeeds at negotiating Persistent Handles (per Session) and
Continuous Availability (per share).  It does not yet have the changes
needed to actually store the Persistent Handle data in a recoverable way,
but that's not necessary for initial testing.

Persistent Handles should be recoverable even without persistent backing
store.  In a network outage, a Persistent Handle would work the same way as
a Durable Handle, so a test that simply drops the TCP connection and then
reconnects should get correct Persistent Handle behavior.

I think that Ralph had some smbtorture code that could do some of this testing.

What I am working on now is making sure that the code in my repository
provides a correct response to a Persistent Handle reconnect.  If I can get
that part working, then the only part missing will be the actual persistent
data storage/recovery.

Chris -)-----