working long-term with the MIT KRB5 codebase in the AD DC

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Mon Oct 23 09:05:08 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-20 at 11:56 -0700, Jeremy Allison via samba-technical wrote:
> So there's a tension here between the needs of distro's and the needs
> of vendors (I'm considering Catalyst via Andrew as a specific Samba
> vendor here).
>
> Distros need Samba to work with the libraries shipped with the distro.
> An "upstream first" policy for all dependent libraries is a must.
>
> Vendors need flexibility to add new features to both libraries and
> Samba to work with them. That sometimes means prototyping features
> and after customer approval getting the changes pushed upstream.
>
> I don't want a fork of MIT. No one wants to fork important security
> libraries anymore. I don't want to keep a copy of Heimdal anymore. I
> think we can all agree on this :-).
>
> Moving both Heimdal and MIT to a git reference to an external tree is
> a good idea.
>
> My guess is the difficulty comes from this statement in Andrew's
> email:
>
> > What I propose is:
> > - Our build system uses a git reference (via a submodule or otherwise)
> > to check out and build MIT krb5
> > - In Samba master, this tracks either:
> >   - MIT master
> >   - a "
> > - In Samba release branches this tracks:
> >   - the release branch, the released version of MIT krb5 that we will
> > support
> > - This occur in parallel to the Heimdal build
>
> what we need to determine is what "Samba vendor fork of
> MIT in limited circumstances" actually means.
>
> So long as this *doesn't* mean "a copy of MIT in our tree on samba.org"
> I hope we can come to some compromise we can agree on.

I didn't understand Andrew as suggesting to put a copy of
MIT into our tree. He was talking about a (git) reference.
And I think this is perfectly fine, as Andreas said, for
development purposes.

So what problem are we trying to solve?
The problem that the version of MIT kerberos
available on build systems that the devs are using
(e.g. for autobuild) varies greatly and is frequently
not up to the needs of current Samba.

I see a point in abstracting our development
tree away from those dependencies by providing
a reference to a git tree of mit kerberos so that
we can build against this (at least optionally, if
the system does not provide sufficient krb support)
because krb is kind of special.

I.e. upstream Samba could be made autonomous by this.
This is to my understanding exclusively for the
convenience of developers.

Any downstreams (i.e. vendors and distros) should (or rather
would want to) solve this problem differently by providing
the libs with the needed support in their system.
It should imho also be the default to build against an
external (system) krb lib. And the mode of first fetching
and building a krb version should be exclusive to
"developer" builds and should need to be triggered explicitly.

I also don't think the vanilla upstream should ever reference
any vendor for of krb5, but only official trees. Referencing
vendor krb5-forks would be done in vendor forks of Samba...

Finally, I think once this is implemented, we should do the
same with heimdal if possible: i.e. remove the checked out
copy and replace it by a git reference that can optionally
be used in developer builds....

Just a few thoughts...

Michael