Work on SMB3 persistent handles

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Fri Oct 20 12:46:54 UTC 2017

Hi all,

recently, the topic of implementing SMB3 persistent handles
in Samba has been taking on some traction again. Mainly
driven by Chris Hertel. We need to make sure that we have
a general purpose implementation that works on any file system,
but we should also make sure to offer hooks that allow
special file systems in the back-end to expose some features
of making handle info persistent. It was originally Chris who
raiesed this requirement.

Now I have recently talked to the nice folks from vmware
(copied in this mail) who are very interested in implementing
persistent handles in Samba with a similar file-system support,
and would like to get involved in the development process.

Hence we though I'd start this thread in the open so that we
can align our efforts and hopefully come up with a good set
of changes that are generic enough to satisfy the various
backend storage solutions. So I copied samba-technical
as well as explicitly the Samba people who have recently been
looking into persistent handles most actively. (Apologies
if I forgot anyone..)
So Chris, Ralph, Metze, samba folks, meet Rick, Wenguang,
Albert, and Satish.

Maybe, if appropriate, someone could summarize the latest
state of the discussions/design/prototyping...

Cheers - Michael