Running tests on FreeBSD

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 27 05:54:13 UTC 2017

On Mon, 2017-11-27 at 07:36 +0200, Uri Simchoni wrote:
> Adding Andrew who is much more qualified than I to answer.
>
> I couldn't quite understand the commands you use to configure, build,
> and test. It looks like you tried autobuild.py. I would start with a
> simple "make test" (after configuring and building).
>
> If you want to avoid Python3 either:
> - Don't use autobuild and configure without the --extra-python
> - Set AUTOBUILD_NO_EXTRA_PYTHON=1 in the environment and run autobuild.
>
> Python2 is required AFAIK. Also AFAIK, not 100% sure, --extra-python is
> about building Python extensions (.so) *also* for Python3, and probably
> running the relevant tests, but the build system as a whole is Python2.

Correct.

> I'm not sure it's a good idea to run make test with the production build
> configuration in terms of --prefix and other directories, as it collides
> with production Samba that might be running on the same machine.

Correct, because --enable-selftest should not be set in production.

However, selftest does not require a 'make install' so the paths, while
funny, shouldn't impact anything.

> I found the following presentations helpful when dealing with Samba test
> infrastructure:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZIUxFgneoo
> https://www.samba.org/~asn/sambaxp-2015-andreas_schneider-selftest.pdf

I agree, those folks know what they are going on about.

> Lastly, I do intend to go into the testing phase, but admittedly I'm
> doing it at my own pace.

It looks to me that the below:

> On 11/27/2017 06:45 AM, Timur I. Bakeyev wrote:

> > Well, apparently, at the top of all the issues with the tests having
> > --extra-python breaks the tests, as it seems that tests expect
> > Python2.7, but after second run of linking for the Python3.6 various
> > binary modules in bin/python pointing to the 3.6 version.

> > ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function (initparam)
> > skipping subunit (testscenarios not available)

Timur,

It is likely due to the EXTRA_PYTHON build over-stamping the binaries
used by the python2 build.  You may not be able to support the partial
python3 implementation at this point, but should work towards that (I
know iXsystems is keen on Python3).

Finally, how exactly is this related to your github patch?

 Try to extrapolate PYTHON_SO_ABI_FLAG from the SOABI Python config
variable (#110)

Thanks,