Hostname resolve fails after upgrade from 4.2 to 4.5

Guru Prasad gp22online at gmail.com
Thu May 11 13:40:49 UTC 2017

Hi All,

Just have few queries related to resolving the hostnames with the newer
samba versions (4.5.x) Previoulsy i have used samba 4.2.x.

I have compiled and installed samba 4.2 in my debian machine.
At the end i have "smbd" and "nmbd" daemons running in my machine.

I could perform all cifs related functionalities (along with ping,
mount.cifs command) with both hostname and ip address.
For example,
ping debian-gp will work fine
mount.cifs //debian-gp/Music /mnt/SMB/mt_point1 works fine

But few days back i have upgraded samba to 4.5.x
I had both "smbd" and "nmbd" running in my machine
But one thing i noticed is i could perform all samba functionalties with ip
address and not with hostname.
ping ip address and mount command with ip address works fine
But if i use hostname instead of ip address in the above scenario, it says
"Unable to resolve"
I have not done anything other than upgrading samba from 4.2 to 4.5.
But after 4.5 upgrade "ping" and "mount.cifs" is failing with hostname.
ping debian-gp says "unknown host"
mount.cifs //debian-gp/Music /mnt/SMB/mt_point1 works fine says "Unable to
resolve"

Please let me know if i have missed anything here.

Thanks
Guruprasad