Writing a unit test with cmocka

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Thu May 4 14:54:55 UTC 2017

Hello Samba-Developers,

if possible and practical please write unit tests to test code. If you're
looking for an example you can find it at:

   testsuite/unittests/test_krb5_samba.c

The API of cmocka is documented here: http://api.cmocka.org/

Some best practices:
* Unit test executable should be small (the opposite of smbtorture)
* If you write tests for a specific code include the .c file so you can write
  tests for static functions too!

cmocka has support for mock objects. There is an LWN article explaining cmocka
and mocking here:

   https://lwn.net/Articles/558106/

I will plan to write another example soon which can be compiled and played
around.

If you have questions please contact me.

	Andreas