[ROADMAP] Catalyst's focus on Samba

Arvid Requate requate at univention.de
Tue Mar 21 11:44:00 UTC 2017

Hi Andrew & Metze,

Am Dienstag, 21. März 2017, 11:49:21 schrieb Stefan Metzmacher via samba-
technical:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> > Scale
> > -----
> >
> > Tied up in performance work is a desire to have samba scale more, to
> > serve more user and hold more groups/group members.  The direction of
> > this work is less certain, but having broken the back of the 'too many
> > links melts Samba' issue, I'm sure we will be asked to do more here.
> >
> > Specific possibilities include LMDB and a GUID-based index scheme.
>
> If you play with lmdb, please try to understand how OpenLDAP does the
> indexing. I think we should also make use of the virtual databases
> of lmdb, so that we can keep the index records away from the real objects.
> We could also have the different partitions within a single lmdb file.
>
> metze

Please also note that increasing the number of named databases in LMDB comes
at a price for startup, see mdb_env_set_maxdbs in the API:

http://www.lmdb.tech/doc/group__mdb.html#gaa2fc2f1f37cb1115e733b62cab2fcdbc

OpenLDAP back-mdb currently limits this to 128 at compile time. You could
probably change that limit at runtime too though, when opening the
environment.

The other limit too look out for are the 511 byte default key size limit. See
dn2id of back-mdb for a way around that. I've isolated and re-implemented that
algorithm here: https://github.com/reqa/ldap-lmdb-dntree

Best regards,
Arvid

--
Arvid Requate
Open Source Software Engineer

CeBIT 2017
20. bis 24. März in Hannover
Treffen Sie uns im Open Source Park (Halle 3/D36)

Univention GmbH
be open.
Mary-Somerville-Str.1
28359 Bremen