Require MIT 1.10? (Re: credentials_krb5: use gss_acquire_cred for client-side GSSAPI use case)

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Wed Mar 8 15:31:03 UTC 2017

Hi Alexander,

>>> I slept a bit more on this topic and made following:
>>>  - I integrated Simo's smb_gss_acquire_cred_from() wrapper
>>>  - Moved smb_gss_krb5_import_cred() to use smb-gss_acquire_cred_from()
>>>  - Changed gse server and client code to use smb_gss_acquire_cred_from()
>>>  - Moved libads/sasl.c code to use smb_gss_acquire_cred_from()
>>>  - Changed MIT krb5 require to 1.10
>>>  - deprecated a fallback for gss_acquire_cred() in gse code.
>>>  - backported all of this to 4.6
>>
>> If you want it backported to 4.6, make the simplest version that
>> works for you using smb_gss_krb5_import_cred(), where the
>> fallback for the broken gss_krb5_import_cred() is done within
>> smb_gss_krb5_import_cred(). Everything else is not acceptable for 4.6,
>> sorry.
>>
>> We should just discuss that simplest version *only* now. Once it's in master
>> and can be backported, we can think about gss_acquire_cred_from() for
>> master.
> I have reworked 4.6 backport to incorporate the fallback to
> smb_gss_krb5_import_cred() wrapper. The backport has no
> gss_acquire_cred_from() in the main code, only in a wrapper -- if it is
> available. The wrapper for the case when gss_acquire_cred_from() is not
> available still uses gss_krb5_import_cred() and gss_acquire_cred() --
> with a fallback to the latter in case we are setting up an acceptor
> without a keytab principal specifying.
>
> I haven't backported bumping requirements to MIT 1.10.

I've only looked at the 4.6 patchset as I'm a bit short on time.
I think you should create a bug report, add the BUG:, signed-off...
tags, including my review to the patches from
samba-v4.6-gss_krb5_import_cred.patch

These can be pushed to master, once they're in master we can cherry-pick -x
them and backport them.

For master we continue like this (in the following order):
- add the patch that changes the version to require 1.10
- remove the ugly fallback code from smb_gss_krb5_import_cred().

Then we can improve from there, ok?

metze