Disabling SMB1 by default

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 21 03:28:51 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-06-20 at 17:37 +0100, Rowland Penny via samba-technical
wrote:

> I think that there may be a problem if SMB1 is disabled, probably
> every
> NT4-style domain will stop working after Samba is upgraded.
>
> Is this the time to admit that we need to stop supporting them ?

Not until the last site stops using it (more or less).

At the moment it isn't a high maintainence cost (every file server is a
mini-DC under the hood, with the SAM anyway) and there is a lot of it
still in use.

I won't give examples in public, but I keep expecting it will just stop
working and force a migration, and I keep finding that folks make it
work and still have large organisations running on it!

Hopefully some future work to make our AD DC scale as well as OpenLDAP
and have more posix-helpful features will push more folks to finally
switch it off, but the lifetime is still measured in years!

Sorry,

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba