Disabling SMB1 by default

Sonic sonicsmith at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 13:17:12 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 8:37 AM, Andreas Hasenack via samba-technical
<samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> The default for "client max protocol" is "NT1" (SMB1, right), and "client
> min protocol" is "CORE". That sounds confusing to me right now, because it
> seems to prevent SMB2+ from ever being used by the client. So how can the
> client, out of the box, speak to, say windows 7?

I may possibly misunderstand, but isn't it "server max protocol" and
"server min protocol" that determine how the Samba server speaks with
clients? The man page here states the "server max protocol" default is
SMB3. I always thought that "client max protocol" referred to client
apps such as smbclient, and maybe smbtree, etc.

As an added note it's declared in the man page for most of these
protocol parameters:
"Normally this option should not be set as the automatic negotiation
phase in the SMB protocol takes care of choosing the appropriate
protocol."