abort() calls from messaging code

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 16 09:35:19 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-06-15 at 12:41 -0700, Jeremy Allison via samba-technical
wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 09:37:33PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> >
> > Full Ack on the whole mail :-)
> >
> > Thanks for writing it down. I had tried to do the handover from the
> > helper thread to the main thread in a simpler way, but I really could
> > not find any that would survive all tests that I did at the time. In
> > particular I tried hard to avoid the event_ctx_mutex, but that seems
> > difficult to achieve if you want to be able to destroy a pthreadpool
> > or event context while threads are blocked hard somewhere and
> > eventually wake up.
>
> I wouldn't worry too much about that. It's an amazing piece of
> work, I'm just impressed how you handle the complexity here.
>
> I can follow it once it's written down, but I don't think I'd
> be capable of creating such a thing :-).

G'Day Jeremy,

Your autobuild failed due to a compile issue in the VFS patches
included, so I've taken the liberty of pushing again those changes and
the posixacl.py de-flapping again.

The list of other known flapping tests I've seen include:
 - GetNCChanges / replication.  Many fixed by the locking patch, but
others sadly still remaining
 - Cracknames: an issue due to creation of duplicate users via rand()
(some users are deleted, but the show_deleted control is used)
 - vfs_xattr_tdb: file_is_a_directory.  The xattr code doesn't have a
way to detect inode re-use, and so can't detect when a dead directory
xattr is being applied to a file.
 - idmap.rfc2307: perhaps also winbindd/environment startup?
 - notify tests: unknown

Sadly we won't be rid of all of these any time soon, but we should get
past this silly spot where most autobuilds seem to fail.

Volker,

I really appreciate your efforts to fix this so promptly.  It was a
great relief to have your attention on this, and to be re-assured it
was not related to the other patches I've been working on.

Thanks!