An interesting shutdown race in messaging

Tue Jun 13 11:14:50 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 05:14:01PM +1200, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical wrote:
> So, I wonder if there is a way to, before we call exit(0) in the
> standard process model, have it try again to dispatch the messages to
> somewhere safely on the other side of a connected or datagram fd?

Would a blocking messaging_send flavor help you?  We need to preserve
message sequencing, so it would have to flush all messages lining up
for the destination given in the messaging_send. To just "flush" the
queue, a MSG_PING could do it I guess.

Haven't looked yet at the implementation, but that's an API that I
could imagine to be useful.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de