Best practices: Adding Persistent Handle support

Christopher R. Hertel crh at samba.org
Fri Jun 2 02:26:45 UTC 2017

On 06/01/2017 05:38 PM, Richard Sharpe via samba-technical wrote:
:
:

> VFS modules are specified on a per-share basis, so they are loaded on
> a per-share basis ... but maybe you knew that already, it was not
> clear from the question that you did, however.

Thanks, Richard.

In my experience you can specify VFS modules globally, and they will then be
loaded for each share.  You can also specify the VFS module in the [share]
blocks so that they are only loaded for specific shares.

I guess the reason my wording seemed convoluted is that I was thinking of
the situation in which, for example, you had three shares on XFS file
systems and another two shares on GlusterFS (or some such).  In that case,
you want to be specific about which VFS modules you load for which
particular shares.  You don't want to load a Persistent Handle module on the
XFS shares, for instance.

Chris -)-----