Net ads join query.

Yogesh Kulkarni yoknfs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 01:57:59 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Yogesh Kulkarni <yoknfs at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 04:03:15PM -0700, Yogesh Kulkarni via
>> samba-technical wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >  I am trying to setup an SMB2 only environment, where the AD is a
>> windows
>> > 2012 with SMB1 disabled.
>> >  I have setup the krb5.conf, smb.conf ldap.conf, resolv, hosts and
>> lmhosts
>> > to correct domain and AD.
>> >  I tried kerberos kinit and that works fine.
>> >
>> >  However, whenever I try to join the domain, I get message domain
>> > information failed.
>> >  I am using
>> > * net ads join --kerberos -Uadministrator  -d 10*

>> > libnet_Join:
>> >     libnet_JoinCtx: struct libnet_JoinCtx
>> >         out: struct libnet_JoinCtx
>> >             account_name             : NULL
>> >             netbios_domain_name      : NULL
>> >             dns_domain_name          : NULL
>> >             forest_name              : NULL
>> >             dn                       : NULL
>> >             domain_sid               : NULL
>> >                 domain_sid               : (NULL SID)
>> >             modified_config          : 0x00 (0)
>> >             error_string             : 'failed to lookup DC info for
>> domain
>> > 'xyz' over rpc: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET'
>> >             domain_is_ad             : 0x00 (0)
>> >             result                   : WERR_NETNAME_DELETED
>> >
>> > Which can possibly be explained by the fact that SMB1 is turned off on
>> the
>> > server. I assume that turning off SMB1 would
>> > also turn off the RPC services.
>>
>> No, RPC services are also available over SMB2 and TCP.
>>

> Thanks Jeremy.

I was finally able to join successfully.

I observed that when no client version was specified SMB client fell back
to SMB1.
With
client min protocol = SMB2 ,
I got an error  Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain
'XYZ' over rpc: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER_MIX

When I set the client max protocol to SMB3, it negotiated a higher dialect
and join was successful.

Thanks Jeremy for pointing me in the correct direction.

--Yogesh.