The number of stat calls caused by a single CREATE request

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 00:37:45 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

I have been looking at the performance of CREATE and am seeing as many
as 15 stat-like requests for a single create.

Now, some of those are the result of our VFS module trying to get
CREATE TIME, but I have the stack-trace info for 11 of them and it is
not pretty:

1. Four of them result from calls to smbd_check_access_rights (a
couple it seems are for calculating the MxAc Extra Create Parameter.)
2. Two of them at least result from vfs_GetWd
3. The majority of them are for "." while two are for the actual path
that is ".".

It is amazing to me that we do not use VALID_STAT to handle that, and
I have a VALID_STAT use in the VFS module  but it seems Samba is
creating fresh struct smb_filenames all over the place for ".".

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe