ntacl sysvolreset can take a long time

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jul 21 20:47:25 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-07-21 at 15:25 +0200, Bjoern Baumbach via samba-technical
wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Depending on the amount of data in the sysvol directory, the samba-tool
> ntacl sysvol reset consumes a lot of time.
> But there is an additional cause for highly increased duration of the
> process. In a small setup it takes round about half a minute when Samba
> is running and just 4 seconds when Samba is not running.
>
> One distinct difference between samba is running and not running is the
> amount of fcntl() calls.
>
> I count 1722462 when samba is up, but just 147214 if samba is not
> running, which is a large difference. Maybe somebody have some ideas how
> we can improve this :-)

There are quite different codepaths that we go though depending on if
winbindd is available, as it has to do sid2gid and sid2uid
translations.

Indeed, we get different results, which is scary, and was the cause of
the posixacl flapping test.  We locked down the test environment to be
stable recently, but the different answers really should be looked
into.