vfs_fruit: Time Machine/FULLSYNC: add mDNS/DNS-SD advertisement

Omri Mor omri50 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 06:16:31 UTC 2017

> In Netatalk we generate a UUID per TM share when and store it pesistently. We
> could do the same in Samba. The simplest thing would be stroring share-name =>
> UUID records in gencache. But that will probably lead to problems when users
> flush the cache with `net cache flush`.

How often do users flush the cache?
If it’s an uncommon operation (e.g. usually done only when there’s a problem), then that’s probably not too much of a problem.
Since the UUID seems to not be used much in any case, it probably isn’t a big deal.

>> I don’t have macOS Server, so I can’t verify what it uses—my understanding is
>> that it’s primarily a GUI to the underlying system services, which can be used
>> on their own, though they need to be manually set-up.
>
> I have a system somewhere, if you tell me what to test exactly I could do that.

It looks like Kevin Anderson posted what his server advertises—I was looking for up-to-date information on what TXT records macOS Server uses for _adisk._tcp.
More examples for comparison are always useful, of course.

>> I don’t suppose Apple would give us some documentation if we asked them really
>> nicely?
>
> We could ask. :) We could also file a bugreport.
>
> Cheerio!
> -slow

I propose we do that. Where and/or whom do we ask?
I suspect router and NAS vendors already have more information than us about it—for instance, the Netgear R7800 uses the 0x1000 adVF flag: https://github.com/paul-chambers/netgear-r7800/blob/master/package/netatalk-utility/src/update_afp.c <https://github.com/paul-chambers/netgear-r7800/blob/master/package/netatalk-utility/src/update_afp.c>.
I’m sure if we looked through other vendors’ GPL code dumps, we’d find more examples of this, but all undocumented on what it means, of course.

Omri