vfs_fruit: Time Machine/FULLSYNC: add mDNS/DNS-SD advertisement

Omri Mor omri50 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 23:25:25 UTC 2017

> On Jul 19, 2017, at 02:06, Stefan Metzmacher <metze at samba.org> wrote:
>
> What about making it as simple as possible and just
> invent new options for the [global] section.
>
> I don't know how many options we need, but it should be
> completely independent from the fruit module usage.
>
> So the admin needs to explicitly configure what we should announce.
>
> metze

The service definition for Time Machine is nontrivial.
_adisk._tcp requires two TXT records:
sys=waMa=0,adVF=0x100
dk0=adVN=Time Machine,adVF=0x82,adVU=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

adVN is the Time Machine share name, adVF sets up volume flags (macOS Server uses 0xa2 instead, Netatalk also uses the 0xa prefix instead of 0x8, though it’s unknown what the 0x2 flag does: http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Bonjour_record_adisk_adVF_values). adVU is a UUID, which isn’t strictly necessary, but I think helps keep track of backup disks.

The whole point is to have all of this set up behind the scenes, so that the user doesn’t need to deal with it. Otherwise there is not advantage over the status quo of just using an Avahi service file.

Omri