Samba and well known SIDs that are "operating system controlled"

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 21:42:58 UTC 2017

In looking at typical Windows ACL usage, it seems common to set an
ACE for "Authenticated Users" (and/or "Everyone" and "Anonymous") but
since these really aren't local groups in the same sense that "Users"
or "Administrators" are, and thus aren't really appropriate to map via
"net groupmap" to POSIX localgroups, I was wondering what is typical
to enable support for them in Samba file server.  I see an example in
python/samba/provision/__init.py__ which maps Anonymous (to nobody
uid) but don't see any special case handling in source3 (in acl
handling e.g.) for mapping these.  Is there a typical way that
providing a valid "Authenticated Users" mapping (so Windows ACL editor
can set this ACE) is enabled - seems wrong to do this via "net
groupmap" (as you might for creating a mapping for an "Administrators"
group) since these groups are (at least for Windows) "controlled by
the operating system" (as msdn describes them) and not really user
configurable (as "Administrators" or "Users" might be).

--
Thanks,

Steve