libsmb2, meet samba

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 18:11:25 UTC 2017

I would also strongly recommend hosting it on samba.org, and there is
some value if (at least) some of the headers can be shared.  Although
cifs code had been ported to user space for testing (for spec e.g.), I
like this better.

My only nit (and it is a small one), is noting that at this stage
there is near zero value (and some disadvantage in additional testing
and coding) in enabling SMB2 dialect, it is easy enough to focus 100%
on SMB3 and later dialects (or SMB2.1 or later). Leaving off the
optional features of SMB3 until they are ready is fine, but there is
almost zero value in ever negotiating SMB2 at this stage - but there
would be HUGE value in having a good user space SMB3.0 or SMB3.11
library that could be more broadly used by open source components that
won't link to Samba today.

--
Thanks,

Steve