is socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192 still a recommended settings on a recent system

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 16:13:50 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 6:55 PM, Matthieu Patou <mat at matws.net> wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> I was under the impression that this is not anymore a recommended
> setting still it's still in the howto
> https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/speed.html.
>
> Is the Howto still relevant (partially) to a 4.3/4.4 installation ?
>

> Matthieu.

*Grumble, grumble*  This appears to somewhat be my fault; I put a
warning in front of the socket options in the man page that said
something to the effect of "may kill kittens" (or, more accurately,
about what it said in the wiki page on the subject).  It seems I was
going to tear out eh speed section of the HOWTO as a follow up patch
that I can't seem to find on the interwebs.  At the time it was
generally accepted that removing the "Speed" chapter was a Good Idea,
but the whole thing could probably go.  For reference:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2013-March/090807.html

Since I originally did the leg work for the socket options, allow me
to enumerate what I can recall so far as socket options go:
1.) They are more than useless under Linux and will disable the self
tuning mechanisms of the OS
2.) TCP_NODELAY gets set (at least in Samba-3 server) because in old
versions of Samba on old OSes against old Windows OSes, this setting
would essentially double the performance of the TCP/IP stack
3.) Under more modern Linux kernels (within the last four or five
years - so current, even on the most conservative distributions), TCP
corking/uncorking made most of the socket options useless
4.) So far as file serving goes, modern SMB dialects do more for
scaling performance than any low level socket option alone

Bottom line: no, the socket options and, the Speed chapter, at the
least, in the HOWTO are not relevant to current OS kernels or Samba
builds.
+1 for pulling the trigger on the HOWTO.

--
Peace and Blessings,
-Scott.