libsmb2, meet samba

David Disseldorp ddiss at suse.de
Wed Jan 25 14:40:04 UTC 2017

Hi Ronnie,

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 19:31:33 -0800, ronnie sahlberg wrote:

> It should be small and nimble. Currently clocks in at ~50kb compiled
> (though that excludes MIT kerberos).
>
> $ ls -l lib/.libs/libsmb2.a -rw-rw-r-- 1 sahlberg sahlberg 54188 Jan
> 24 17:40 lib/.libs/libsmb2.a
>
> It should need very few external dependencies. Right now I target
> basic posix libc plus MIT. Nothing else.
>
> It should be so portable that it compiles native on both Win32/64 as
> well as Amiga Kickstart 1.3.
>
> It should provide an API similar to libnfs so that porting between nfs
> and smb wrappers should be as painless as possible.
>
> SMB2+ only. No smb1 support. RDMA support will be nice to add in the future.
>
> Zero-copy for [p]read/[p]write.

Always good to see a new FOSS client in the wild - Particularly with
async support and smb1 abandonment :-)

> Licence
> ----------
> For licence, gnu licences lgplv2.1 only or lgpl2.1-plus are
> acceptable. QMU licence compatibility is not negotiable. (Make me
> angry and I will consider 2-clause BSD, or worse :-) )
> Nah lgpl2.1 is fine :-)
>
> Kodi support is kind of not negotiable as well, but they are
> compatible with a lot mode different licences so that should not be an
> issue.

So this means that the libsmb2 client code could also be used by the
cifs.ko kernel client? I think at the very least it'd be good to have
each of these projects using the Samba idl for network<->req/rsp struct
marshalling.
talloc/tevent usage would also be a nice to have IMO, so you don't end
up rewriting a generic event library, or hierarchical allocator
(libiscsi seems to have gone a little that way ;-).

> Where to host?
> I kind of like github/sahlberg as your on-stop-shop for everything
> related to network storage client software.
> However, hosting this on samba.org at some stage might be a better choice.
>
> You open for that idea?

I can't speak for others on the team, but I'd certainly be in favour of
hosting it under samba.org.

Cheers, David