Contents of ctdb nodes file reverting back

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 04:41:23 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 7:42 AM, Steve French <smfrench at gmail.com> wrote:

> One of our testers noted a case where /etc/ctdb/nodes file 'lost' an
> entry, and I do see a log entry on the master about reloading the
> recovery file ("Reload nodes file from recovery daemon") - which at
> first sounds suspicious but when I looked at this code, I don't see
> ctdb replacing/changing the contents of /etc/ctdb/nodes file just
> reloading the existing /etc/ctdb/nodes file.  Is there any case where
> ctdb recovery would alter the contents of the file /etc/ctdb/nodes?

CTDB does not modify nodes file.  It only reads the node file.  So if you
notice the nodes file has changed, then something other CTDB is doing that.

Otherwise I was leaning toward simultaneous update of the nodes file
> (outside Samba) as the culprit.   The excerpt from the ctdb log on the
> recovery master is:
>
> 2017/01/23 13:10:55.786692 [recoverd:31283]:
> ../ctdb/server/ctdb_recoverd.c:1622 Reload nodes file from recovery
> daemon

This can happen only if "ctdb reloadnodes" command was executed.  This
tells CTDB (including recovery daemon) to reload nodes file.

Amitay.