generated spotlight files (via bison/flex) from waf rather than use snapshots of previous generated files

Noel Power nopower at suse.com
Fri Jan 20 07:41:40 UTC 2017

Hi Metze
On 19/01/17 12:08, Stefan Metzmacher wrote:
> Hi Noel,
>
> to my knowledge it used to be very tricky to get a felx/bison combination
> that works together and is available on all systems we want to support.
>
> I'd preferr to have the result commited to git instead
> of regenerating it at build time.
Yeah, I too can see your point.
But.. do we really gain much committing the generated code, I mean there
still is no guarantee that some system somewhere wont bork at it, then
you are back to thinking about maybe modifying generated code :/
Also the use of flex/bison here is quite limited, it's not enabled
generally but for just those systems that might be building spotlight
(and hopefully WSP in some future), in these case(s) the requirements
gobject, glib & tracker should pretty much guarantee the system is more
or less modern, non exotic and hopefully sane (wrt flex/bison). I think
it is worth doing this (on master at least) and see what falls out,
what's the worst that could happen? we would have to revert it  which
would be quite easy.

Noel