It would be nice if sssd could work with CTDB ...

Dewayne Geraghty dewaynegeraghty at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 01:34:52 UTC 2017

On 14 January 2017 at 06:43, Volker Lendecke <vl at samba.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 10:52:43AM -0800, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> > So, I am just saying, IYKWIM, it would be really nice.
>
> What do you need sssd for that winbind can't help you with?
>
> Volker

winbindd is great, but when you have a lot of services that use SAMBA-AD as
an authentication/authorisation mechanism it is nice to have a small
application like sssd or nslcd.  This becomes significant when you have a
lot of services (mail, squid, ss5, irc, jabber, apache) that require
authentication/authorisation.

For comparison:
- nslcd has 19 shared libs and one (FreeBSD) dependency
- winbindd has 122 shared libraries and samba44 has 16 dependencies.

>From an operational/maintenance perspective non-winbindd solutions have
their place; particularly on the smaller/single purpose devices.
Kind regards, Dewayne.
PS I appreciate the return of ssd/nslcd guidance on the samba wiki, much
more inclusive ;)