ctdb in autobuild broken -- ctdb depends on winbind now????

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Mon Jan 9 10:36:16 UTC 2017

On 2017-01-06 at 11:12 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 07, 2017 at 05:54:24AM +1100, Martin Schwenke wrote:
> >
> > It appears that your autobuild has just failed after both Andreas and
> > I got an autobuild through:
> >
> >   [1995(13838)/2028 at 3h5m1s] samba4.drs.replica_sync.python(promoted_dc)(promoted_dc:local)
> >   UNEXPECTED(error): samba4.drs.replica_sync.python(promoted_dc).replica_sync.DrsReplicaSyncTestCase.test_ReplConflictsRemoteWin_with_child(promoted_dc:local)
> >   REASON: Exception: Exception: Traceback (most recent call last):
> >     File "/memdisk/vlendec/a/b129423/samba/source4/torture/drs/python/replica_sync.py", line 260, in test_ReplConflictsRemoteWin_with_child
> >       self.ou2 = self._create_ou(self.ldb_dc2, "OU=Test Parent Remote Conflict")
> >     File "/memdisk/vlendec/a/b129423/samba/source4/torture/drs/python/replica_sync.py", line 95, in _create_ou
> >       samdb.add_ldif(ldif)
> >     File "bin/python/samba/__init__.py", line 225, in add_ldif
> >       self.add(msg, controls)
> >   LdbError: (68, 'LDAP error 68 LDAP_ENTRY_ALREADY_EXISTS -  <Entry OU=Test Parent Remote Conflict,DC=samba,DC=example,DC=com already exists> <>')
> >
> > I think this is a case of "it's not you, it's me... or just some other
> > flakiness".  ;-)
>
> Exactly. I think you and Volker just got unlucky in autobuild
> flakyness at the wrong time, precipitating the revert request.

Right, and this proves (again) that rushing in reverts is not
an appropriate measure when things fail! :-)

Volker, I agree with Jeremy and others that this pattern of
reverting once some problem (even possibly unrelated) occurs
(or if it turns out that the patches were not quite as perfect as
orignially thought) is more harmful than helpful to the project.
Usually, it's more helpful to leave the improvements in the tree
and then weed out the remaining problems. If there are problems,
then they can be fixed, but you do not need to fix them
immediately or alone!

As you can tell from this case and a couple of others before,
this revert reaction also creates irritation rather than
reassurance in the team...

As the guide says, in large friendly letters:
"Don't panic!" ... ;-)

Cheers - Michael