Disabling python modules.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jan 5 01:42:04 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-01-04 at 17:15 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> It looks like Gentoo Linux have done some work to
> allow both ldb and samba to build without python:
>
> https://dev.gentoo.org/~polynomial-c/samba-disable-python-patches-4.5
> .0_rc1.tar.xz
>
> Do we want to persue this and add to the build
> system as an option ? I think there are several
> embedded vendors who might like this option.

My primary concern here is that I think we should be trying to write
less C, rather than more, and so if we start to officially support
building without python, we create another reason not to write more of
our tools in python.

I realise that Python hasn't really caught on outside the AD DC, as I
had really hoped it would become Samba's standard scripting language
for building tools etc.  Even so it would be quite unfortunate to imply
a policy that certain parts of samba must be implemented in C.  (I've
not used it, but from what I hear about it some rust might be quite
helpful).

That said, I get that embedded vendors would like one less dependency,
particularly where they simply don't use the things we build with/for
python.