Call for samples: Please help us build a Samba AD performance measuring tool

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 24 05:22:32 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-02-17 at 11:11 +1300, Gary Lockyer wrote:
> Script to provide an anonymous summary from tshark
>
> The tshark command needs to output a PDML XML stream, which this
> command
> will read. The summary is intended not to expose private or customer
> data while allowing a good view on the range and frequency of the
> network traffic.

The script Gary posted, which is available from

http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gitweb?p=samba.git;a=blob_plain;f=script/traffic_summary.pl;hb=4786141c9d29d9eaaab3809542ee97af33db6285

is one step towards building a Samba performance montoring tool.

We hope to start on that tool soon, which will take these summaries of
real-world network traffic and generate a synthetic load.

Cramming the network full of packets is easy, but it would be really
helpful if folks running Samba or Windows AD networks could run this
script over a pcap file captured on your DCs so we get a good idea what
'real world' looks like.

The instructions are in the perl script, they involve using tshark to
parse the .pcap into XML, which this tool ingests, returning anonymous
lines of traffic summaries that we can build new traffic simulations
from.

The resulting files are nothing like the size of the .pcap but can be a
little large, but are totally anonymous and trivial to audit so we can
probably keep them in the wiki or somewhere for folks who are
comfortable.

If you want to help, then please e-mail the output to me with some
details on your network size to me in the meantime if you can.

Thanks,