posixacl test failure (flapping)

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 01:04:07 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 6:41 PM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

> One of the flapping tests we have is this one:
>
> We get 11, not 15 ACE values in the posix ACL.  Does anybody have any
> idea how we sometimes come up short here?
>
> (You can see the expected values at
> /memdisk/abartlet/a/b626728/samba/bin/python/samba/tests/posixacl.py:70
> 7)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Bartlett
>
> UNEXPECTED(failure):
> samba.tests.posixacl.samba.tests.posixacl.PosixAclMappingTests.test_set
> ntacl_policies_check_getposixacl(ad_dc_no_nss:local)
> REASON: Exception: Exception: Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
> "/memdisk/abartlet/a/b626728/samba/bin/python/samba/tests/posixacl.py",
> line 707, in test_setntacl_policies_check_getposixacl
>     self.assertEquals(posix_acl.count, 15,
> self.print_posix_acl(posix_acl))
> AssertionError: a_type: 3
> a_perm: 7
> gid: 3000002
> a_type: 1
> a_perm: 6
> uid: 1018
> a_type: 5
> a_perm: 0
> a_type: 2
> a_perm: 6
> a_type: 1
> a_perm: 7
> uid: 3000002
> a_type: 4
> a_perm: 7
> a_type: 3
> a_perm: 5
> gid: 3000003
> a_type: 3
> a_perm: 7
> gid: 3000004
> a_type: 3
> a_perm: 5
> gid: 3000005
> a_type: 3
> a_perm: 7
> gid: 3000006
> a_type: 6
> a_perm: 7
> --
> Andrew Bartlett                       http://samba.org/~abartlet/
> Authentication Developer, Samba Team  http://samba.org
> Samba Developer, Catalyst IT          http://catalyst.net.nz/
> services/samba

Wasn't there an artificial limit on the number of ACEs (specifically, the
number of uids/gids that could have an entry in the list, not the size of
the entry itself) on some platforms (Solaris/OpenSolaris/BSD?) at some
point in the past or is my memory hazy on the subject?  I feel like it was
something file system and kernel dependent due to metadata space, but I'm
also hazy on those particulars.  If this isn't flapping on all platforms,
that might be an avenue to verify.  Although I'm thinking it's doubtful
since 11 isn't exactly a magic number that's round in base 2 and my gut
says that the max number of entries is very probably a round value in
affected platforms.

--
Peace and Blessings,
-Scott.