About pthreadpool_tevent

Volker Lendecke vl at samba.org
Fri Feb 3 08:39:56 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 11:34:34AM -0800, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> All,
>
> So the pthreadpool_tevent in just under source3, is there a good reason
> to keep it here ? Couldn't be move to lib at the root of repository ?

As you asked about 4.5 also: Please use fncall_send in 4.5. 4.5 even
has a getaddrinfo_send, which I removed for 4.6. It was unused and
only a sample for 4.6, and it should be trivial to port to the 4.6
functions.

The reason for the pthreadpool_tevent merge is that we don't go
through epoll with the new code. Epoll can't prioritize the signal
pipe from the pthreadpool, so finished jobs can starve under high SMB
traffic. This should not affect your case with DNS lookups though, so
the 4.5 code should be fine for you.

Volker