CTDB_MANAGES_SAMBA and CTDB_MANAGES_WINBIND - handles restart after crash

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 06:08:37 UTC 2017

If winbind (or Samba) crashes (something that the ctdb event scripts
can detect by their polling), I noticed that unlike the systemd
service configuration - our ctdb event scripts are not setup to
auto-restart services after crash.

For example,
if CTDB_MANAGES_WINBIND=yes (see
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_clustered_Samba where it
recommends this)

and winbind ever crashes then it won't be restarted, on the other hand
with 'normal' configuration

of systemd the winbind.service file would have something like

[Service]
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=4
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

in it so systemd would automatically restart winbind 4 seconds after failure.

Should ctdb events scripts for winbind (and similarly samba) be set if
the monitor ("wbinfo -p") fails - to do a service restart of winbind?

In addition, the "ctdb scriptstatus" output is strange if there is an
error (like winbind is crashed so the "wbinfo -p" fails in ctdb's
winbind monitoring script ) - if winbind event script (or any script)
the following ones in the list are not executed - rather than
reporting an error and continuing to report the status of the other
services

--
Thanks,

Steve