Code submission from dimgrav/samba to samba-team/samba repository

Simo simo at samba.org
Sat Aug 26 01:09:45 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-08-25 at 16:25 -0700, Jeremy Allison via samba-technical
wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 06:18:19PM +0300, Dimitris Gravanis via
> samba-technical wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to submit my code for reviewing and potential merging to
> > git.samba. I went through the wiki for git patches, but this refers
> > to creating patches matched to specified commits. There is a large
> > number of commits in my fork (140+), many of which refer to really
> > small changes (renames, typos, small additions) and are scattered
> > throught the commit history, therefore this will probably not be so
> > efficient for reviewing.
> >
> > In my fork, I went on and modified existing libcli/dns code
> > (renamed
> > and restructured it to fit the new directory tree) and added all of
> > my new individual files. There are also some changes in top-level
> > waf scripts and libdns.h is replaced with libudp.h in all of the
> > existing Samba code that uses this header.
> >
> > It would be helpful to know how you think I should submit the new
> > code.
>
> Take a look at how similar large changes have been merged in
> the past. Mostly, try and keep everything working whilst
> doing the modifications. Start by moving the files, then add
> small (some would say micro) commits on top that keep things
> working as you fix bugs and introduce new functionality.

I think what really matters is that each change is complete and easily
reviewable.

Squash together fixes to changes you made yourself, and split patches
based on topics if you can, so that each patch represent a logic change
of its own right and requires the review of a single aspect of your
changes if possible.

Simo.