GSOC 2017 Progress Report #11

Dimitris Gravanis dimgrav at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 16:48:48 UTC 2017

      Progress Report #11
      <https://dimgrav.blogspot.gr/2017/08/progress-report-11.html>

Progress Report #11 19-08-2017

As mentioned in my previous log entry, most work occurs in samba-fork
<https://github.com/dimgrav/samba/tree/master/libcli/dns> at this point.
In the following days, Samba-GSOC2017
<https://github.com/dimgrav/Samba-GSOC2017> repo will also be fully
updated, for the final stage and evaluation of GSoC.

*_Documentation_*

Project documentation has been organized according to the repository
structure, in the form of markdown README files, as follows:

  * libcli/dns/ : Project description, library index
  * libcli/dns/cli-fn/ : DNS client features
  * libcli/dns/cmocka-tests/ : Client tests information and instructions

This is intended to help developers, who wish to contribute to Samba,
get a good grasp of the existing DNS client code and ease their way in
Samba development. There is no formal, end-user documentation needed as
far as I can tell, due to the intrinsic functionality of the project.
The text will be updated constantly, to reflect changes in code, yet
this format is to be kept.

*_Waf_*

Scripts for configuring and building the code for Samba integration are
needed. the libcli/dns/wscript_build has been updated to use the new
source code.

In libcli/dns/cmocka-tests/, a wscript file has been set up to handle
test suite configuration and building, though it's not yet fully
functional, there is troubleshooting to be done, to properly handle
internal Samba build objects. I expect to sort it out shortly.

*_Other_*

Other changes include code formatting to match Samba conventions and
guidelines, minor changes in libraries (mostly to make the code more
readable and straightforward) and similar refinements.

I need to solve the Waf thing as soon as possible, so that I can be done
with the tests. In order to deliver the most complete result I can
possibly produce, any tips, advice or technical information regarding
questions I've sent to this list from time to time, would be greatly
appreciated.

Have a great weekend,
Dimitris

--