Debug classes outside source3 (was: Re: Looking for some development task I can contribute to)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Aug 13 22:25:52 UTC 2017

On Sat, 2017-08-12 at 14:31 +0000, Cody Harrington via samba-technical
wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My name is Cody Harrington. I have already contributed a minor patch
> a while ago at the suggestion of Andrew Bartlett, and now I'd like to
> get stuck in and contribute some more to the samba project. However:
>
> - The wiki says to coordinate with other Samba developers so as to
> not duplicate effort, and
> - I'm not sure where to jump in specifically, so I'd like to help out
> with whatever I can work on.
>
> Does anyone have any specific development tasks that need or would be
> useful to get done, that are able to be handed over to me?
>
> Regards,

G'Day Cody,

I can't continence suggesting printing bugs, that sounds just cruel!
;-)

However what came to my mind is:

Add debug classes for the common and source4 code:

Back during the dark times before we merged the code, the source3 side
of the project embraced debug classes.  The source4 side did not.

So, currently there is not much use of debug classes outside source3.
That should change.  If you do:

git grep DBGC_CLASS source4/

You will see the DNS is the only case currently handled.  Adding new
classes and re-using existing classes like rpc_srv and auth would be
very helpful.

Thanks,

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba