Show-stopper samba-4.7.0rc3 on AIX when using xlc

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Aug 5 08:46:47 UTC 2017

On Sat, 2017-08-05 at 09:45 +0200, Michael Felt via samba-technical
wrote:
> On 01/08/2017 11:55, Michael Felt via samba-technical wrote:
> > Been working on packaging SAMBA for AIX the last 24 hours. Via the bug
> > reports I saw some patches that have been applied to SAMBA-4.7 (but
> > not in the 4.4.15.+ I guess) - so started a test of the rc as well.
> >
> > It stops almost immediately - with a bad compiler flag -
>
> Just curious - is there no interest in the RC3 release, or did I post
> this to the wrong list (as I see nothing about samba4.7rc3 testing at all).

This is the right place, it is just really hard to get folks to test
our release candidate releases.

I'm sorry I missed your mail earlier this week.

The issue is in lib/replace/wscript

The code tests for -Wno-format-truncation and then if that exists but
unconditionally sets -Wno-format-zero-length.

> Q2: as I have been reading a bit - if I was going to try and 'fix' this,
> would that be in the wafsamba directory (of buildtools)?

Fixing it shouldn't be hard, just make that test -Wno-format-truncation
also conditional.

If you look over the git log, you can see us trying hard to keep too
many different compiler versions happy.  It all started with:

commit b02d636e0b1c43821a83297f51599bb03b5858b3
Author: Douglas Bagnall <douglas.bagnall at catalyst.net.nz>
Date:   Tue Nov 1 13:26:11 2016 +1300

    lib/replace tests: prevent GCC fretting over snprintf sizes

    These tests deliberately use snprintf for truncating strings, which
is
    fine for tests. This has the effect of leaving the warning in place
    but preventing it from becoming a fatal error.

    Signed-off-by: Douglas Bagnall <douglas.bagnall at catalyst.net.nz>
    Reviewed-by: Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>

Thanks so much for chasing this down, I'm sure you can get a patch
knocked up pretty quickly with that info.

Thanks,