[WHATSNEW] Samba AD with MIT Kerberos + Version change

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Apr 30 08:22:56 UTC 2017

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 09:45:42 +0200
Andreas Schneider via samba-technical <samba-technical at lists.samba.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as you can build Samba AD with MIT Kerberos now, I propose to change
> the version number to 5.0.0.
>
> It is time that we stop talking about Samba 3 and Samba 4.
>

> The attachd patch adds a section for Samba AD with MIT KRB5 to
> WHATSNEW and changes the version number.
>

> Review and push much appreciated!
>

> Thanks,
>

> 	Andreas

Sorry, but NACK!

Just because you have got MIT kerberos working with a Samba AD DC (and
great respect to you for doing so) isn't a good enough reason to bump
the version up to 5. If Heimdal was removed at the same time perhaps,
but, from my understanding, this cannot be done yet.

I also think that more warning needs to be given before such a big jump
happens.

Rowland