SMB3 Unix extensions

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 17:38:03 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 10:56:28AM +0200, Stefan Metzmacher wrote:

>> > Yes, that's right.

>> > That was my original idea, but no, we need it. The reason is
>> > (David Kruse pointed this out) that it allows the client to
>> > determine if a UNIX create context that is ignored by the server
>> > is not returned because the server can't grant or doesn't want
>> > to grant UNIX handles on this part of the file system, vs
>> > a server that doesn't grant UNIX handles because it doesn't
>> > implement UNIX extensions.
>> >
>> > The initial Negprot extension tells the client that yes,
>> > I can do UNIX handles I just don't want to for this handle.
>>
>> Why does a client need to care about this?
>> Just avoiding a few bytes for the ignored create context?
>
> No, there was a good reason, I just can't remember
> it right now whilst I'm writing my second SambaXP
> talk :-).
>
> Steve, can you remember the use case ?

The client needs to know if the server supports Unix Extensions before
it sends the SMB2 CREATE request so that it doesn't attempt to do an
unrecoverable
operation (create supersede/overwrite or delete e.g) which behaves
differently based
on whether case sensitive turns out to be supported or not.

--
Thanks,

Steve