The speed of copy is very very slow when much files in the folder

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 13:56:10 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 5:50 AM, vl--- via samba-technical
<samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 12:36:27PM +0000, Zhangxiaoxu via samba-technical wrote:
>> 100,000 files in my share.
>> When I copy some little files to the folder, the speed is very very slow.
>>
>> I add some logs in the smbd, the “get_real_filename_full_scan” function cast about 1s. It’s too slow.
>> I think the function is used for comparing the dest name to the exist files to check whether the dest file is exist.
>>
>> When I add “case sensitive = yes” to the configuration file, the speed is much quickly.
>>
>> So, I think whether we has some method to improve the performance?
>> Could you give us some suggestion about the case.
>>
>> Environment:
>>        Ubuntu 14.04
>>        Samba 4.3.11
>>
>> Client:
>>        Windows 7
>>
>> Configuration:
>>        clustering = yes
>
> What's your file system?
>
> Volker

In addition, this is the same problem that someone from H3C asked
about a couple of days ago.

It is a consequence of implementing NTFS semantics (Case preserving,
case insensitive) on a case sensitive file system.

Volker is asking that question because some Linux file systems can
provide case insensitive semantics for lookup.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe