nss_wrapper support for musl-libc

Dennis Schridde dennis.schridde at uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Apr 13 15:04:20 UTC 2017

Hi Andreas!

On Mittwoch, 22. März 2017 10:00:31 CEST Dennis Schridde via samba-technical
wrote:
> On Dienstag, 28. Februar 2017 15:22:14 CET Andreas Schneider wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 28 February 2017 12:20:00 CET Dennis Schridde wrote:
> > > It seems that EAI_NONAME is about resolving the nodename only, while
> > > EAI_SERVICE indicates whether the provided servname and hints represent
> > > sane combination.
> > >
> > > The test specifies no nodename, only a servname. Thus musl's behaviour
> > > of
> > > indicating that "the service passed was not recognized for the specified
> > > socket type" seems to be spot on. Going by the specs, it seems that
> > > either
> > > GNU libc's behaviour is wrong or the specification is too lax in this
> > > regard.
> > >
> > > Another question would be what we are actually testing here: Conformance
> > > of
> > > libc to POSIX, or whether nss_wrapper works as intended?
> >
> > Normally I try to mimic the behaviour of glibc. Then I test on other
> > platforms BSD, OpenSolaris if they differ. They often did the same as
> > glibc.
>
> I checked again with POSIX.1-2008 [1]. It has the exact same wording as the
> man-pages I quoted.
>
> So how do we proceed from here? Shall we try to change musl's behaviour,
> because it does not conform to GNU libc? Is conformance to any valid
> interpretation of POSIX.1-2008 acceptable? Or is just my understanding of
> the specification of getaddrinfo and its errors wrong?
>
> > I'm currently checking why BSD and Solaris nightly build are not working.
>
> Were you able to figure out the build problems?

Is there anything I can do to speed this up? Is something about my code still
in a known bad state? Or is all that is left the ambiguousness of POSIX.1-2008
regarding errors of getaddrinfo(), which makes glibc and musl-libc interpret
it differently? Or is just my reading of the spec wrong and musl-libc got it
wrong, too?

--Dennis