autoconf build system procedure needed

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Apr 13 08:04:35 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 17:30 +0530, Jawath Muckdhar via samba-technical
wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
>   I have compiled samba-4.5.5 with waf.
>   But, there were 93 shared libraries required by 'smbd'
>   The size of the shared libraries occupy around 35 MB.
>
>   Now, I cannot use 'waf' build system as it creates executables and
> shared
> libraries with huge size.  I need to use the 'autoconf' build system
> in
> order to reduce the size of the executable and the number of shared
> libraries.
>
>   My requirement is that I want a samba server only for "File
> Sharing" with
> basic authentication using 'smbpasswd' (encrypted). Other features
> like
> print sharing, AD domain controller, NT4 domain controller, local
> domain
> master are not needed.
>
>  I refer the below link and came to know about 'autoconf' build
> system to
> be used in samba-4.5.5 to create small size executable and shared
> libraries.
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/BuildsystemUseAndWhy
>

>   Kindly reply with the procedure to use 'autoconf' build and provide
> your
> valuable feedback.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to start three threads on this
topic, but I will again indicate that I've built a much smaller smbd
than this (13MB).

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2017-January/118470.html

I suggest you test the approach I suggest there, then work with us and
prepare patches to improve the waf build to make this a fully supported
feature.

Just as we have a --without-ad-dc, we could certainly have options to
remove other features, as long as we don't get too complex.

Finally, how small do you need smbd to be?

Thanks,