Patch to add support for advertising FULLSYNC to Mac OSX Clients

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Apr 10 16:02:27 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 07:38:05AM -0400, Kevin Anderson wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>    I would appreciate it if someone could reach out to Apple regarding
> the detail of the specification since I do not have any contacts there
> myself.
>

> > Blocking is not a magic bullet. It doesn't get you
> > anything waiting for an async response doesn't also
> > get you.
>

> This is my first attempt at getting something to work within the SMB
> protocol so for my own information, to make this flush request
> asynchronous would you pend the SMB Flush Response back to the client
> till an fsync is completed by the server?

Yes, that is built into the current SMB2 server engine.

>Or does the current code
> already have that same effect?

No, anything calling a synchronous fsync() call will
block. If the Apple spec really requires no reply contact
from the server whilst this is done, we can just temporarily
disable the intermediate response code (or make it 60+
seconds for this request, enough for the client to time
out).