Patch to add support for advertising FULLSYNC to Mac OSX Clients

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Apr 7 18:41:12 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 09:37:02PM +0300, Uri Simchoni wrote:
> On 04/07/2017 09:04 PM, Jeremy Allison via samba-technical wrote:
> > Can't we change this to a generic:
> >
> > bool VFS_QUERY_FEATURE(fsp, const char *vfs_module_name, const char *feature_name);
> >
> > or
> >
> > void *VFS_QUERY_FEATURE(fsp, const char *vfs_module_name, const char *feature_name);
> >
> > that can sweep aapl-specific flags/structs out of the main interfaces
> > and back onto the module-specific private data struct where they
> > belong ?
> >
> +1. My thinking of this has been:
>
> a. It's Apple-specific, let's hide it
> b. ...But Macs are important too, let's not hide it (that's where I
> submitted the file-id patch which adds an Apple-specific flag to the SMB
> server).
> c. ...But their version of the protocol is not documented and subject to
> change without notice, and Microsoft's version currently is documented
> and supported, so let's keep the main SMB code adhering to the
> documented protocol version and (try to) hide undocumented dialects.
>
> Just my 2c...

Yeah, each individual decision made sense at the time,
but I don't like where we ended up if you see what I
mean.

Wouldn't a:

void *VFS_QUERY_FEATURE(fsp, const char *vfs_module_name, const char *feature_name);

interface allow us to at least clean things up a
little, and maybe allow us to isolate some of the
state back where it belongs ?