SMB3 Unix extensions

Tue Apr 4 11:19:41 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 04, 2017 at 12:13:27AM -0700, Pavel Shilovsky via samba-technical wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to start a discussion about SMB3 Unix extensions. So far
> I have the following questions:
>
> 1) Do we have any docs describing the protocol draft?

Do we have a protocol draft at all? Many months ago I just started to
hack something up using our smb2 client library and Samba, but I did
not get very far. At that point nobody could point me at any protocol
ideas. Maybe some SDC slides, but apart from that?

> 2) What is the current status? Are there some difficulties with the
> current state? What is left to be done?

I think the main thing is that someone just needs to do *SOMETHING*. I
know I'm as guilty as everybody else is, but I think here the "code
speaks" mantra is overdue. A big empty space can be filled :-)

After so many years of just talking about it, we should be willing to
accept anything that works at all. It should be versioned, so that we
can fix mistakes later, but that's about it.

So -- Go, go, go! :-)

Just my 2ct.

Volker