[Samba] samba Digest, Vol 172, Issue 2

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Apr 2 18:39:27 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 20:24:16 +0200
Karl Heinz Wichmann <wichmann-karl at web.de> wrote:

> Hallo Rowland
>
> The clients have fixed adress.
>
> Our main problem is that we want to change a MS 2008R2 Workstation to
> a DC with dcpromo. In the logfiles i get error messages, that i have
> no rights to change dns entry.
>
> Therefore we want to find this error to make the workstation to an DC.

So, you want to change the A (possibly the AAAA) and PTR records for a
machine when all your machines have a fixed IP.

Are you actually changing the hostname of the 2008R2 workstation ?

If you are, I think you will probably find it quicker to leave the
domain as a workstation, then delete its dns records with samba-tool.
Make the required dns changes to the soon to be DC. Create its new dns
records in AD with samba-tool, then join your new DC to the domain.

You should also ensure that you stop your windows trying to update
their dns records.

I don't have any dns problems because I run Samba, Bind9 and DHCP all
on the same server and DHCP directly updates the clients records.

Rowland