How to make a Samba .distversion file

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 16:07:58 UTC 2016

I was able to generate a .distversion but there are two problems in
trying to do the following sequence (presumably would be common
scenario)

1) make dist from within the git tree to construct the .distversion
file and put it in a tar.xz file with the build tree
2) copy the tar.xz file to $(RPMDIR)/SOURCES
3) rpmbuild -ba samba.spec

The problem with that is
1) you don't know the exact name of the rpm file that "make dist" will
generate (we need to copy it to something well known that will match
what was put in the spec file, like "samba.tar.xz")
2) "make dist" looks like it builds hundreds of doc files (is it
supposed to do that?) not just .distversion before doing the tar
3) It builds a tar.gz instead of the normal tar.xz, presumably
rpmbuild expects tar.xz not tar.gz (at least that is what we have been
using and rpmbuild seems happy with the newer tar.xz)

--
Thanks,

Steve