SMB_VFS_GET_DOS_ATTRIBUTES vs SMB_VFS_IS_OFFLINE

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Sun Sep 11 16:52:03 UTC 2016

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016, Ralph Böhme wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Now that we have a full fledged SMB_VFS_{GET|SET}_DOS_ATTRIBUTES() I
> was wondering whether it would be doable to merge SMB_VFS_IS_OFFLINE()
> into SMB_VFS_GET_DOS_ATTRIBUTES()?
>
> Merging both functions would have the benefit that in VFS modules that
> use same backing store bits for both, like gpfs, we would avoid
> calling the backing store twice in dos_mode().
>
> I don't see a reason why SMB_VFS_{GET|SET}_DOS_ATTRIBUTES() couldn't
> handle FILE_ATTRIBUTE_OFFLINE as well. WIP patch attached, passed a
> private autobuild.
>
> Thoughts?
It breaks ABI for VFS modules so an increase of VFS API number is
required. Alternatively, don't delete offline functions and make calls
to them from get/set functions in case they were set in the module. The
latter would allow to keep ABI intact and recommend to avoid
implementing offline functions in future.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy