[WIP] Remove confusing --use-xattrs option from samba-tool domain provision

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 8 00:38:13 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-09-05 at 08:55 +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2016, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 05, 2016 at 03:24:53PM +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > >
> > > While at a high level the steps required to have Samba work on an
> > > NFSv4
> > > ACL backed filesystem seem reasonable, no user or developer has
> > > found
> > > it important enough to produce a patch.
> >
> > Can you explain what you mean with that statement?
> >
> > Just to make sure, not to give a wrong impression: A Samba
> > fileserver
> > works much better on an NFSv4 ACL backed file system than on a
> > Posix
> > ACL one. GPFS users use it every day in large installations. I
> > can't say
> > how well the FreeBSD zfs/ufs NFSv4 ACL mapping is actually tested,
> > but
> > as the mapping is much more straight-forward than with Posix, I
> > would
> > not expect anything unsurmountable.
> I think Andrew alludes to the point that no Samba AD user/developer
> took
> enough effort to submit a patch that would allow samba-tool to deploy
> Samba AD with vfs_zfsacl or vfs_gpfs modules.
>
> I don't think this is a problem with implementation of those modules,
> it
> is rather our problem with general lack of contributions to the Samba
> AD
> code base from outside of the team.

Exactly.  I'm certainly sorry for the imprecise wording.

At it's core, ZFS support for the Samba AD DC really should require not
much more than a few changes to the generated smb.conf.  The testing
will be the more important part, running our code on simulated NFSv4
should be possible (the same code we use elsewhere in selftest) and
locking down the expected smb.conf output etc.

Thanks,