[WIP] Remove confusing --use-xattrs option from samba-tool domain provision

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 14:37:21 UTC 2016

On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 17:02:33 +0300
Alexander Bokovoy <ab at samba.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Sep 2016, Rowland Penny wrote:
> > On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 16:21:24 +0300
> > Alexander Bokovoy <ab at samba.org> wrote:

> > > Rowland, FreeBSD has support for POSIX ACLs and extended
> > > attributes for years. See http://zewaren.net/site/node/154 for
> > > example how to enable them in UFS volumes.
> > >

> > ON UFS they may do, but I was trying to find out why a user was
> > having problems and he was using ZFS. To provision a DC on ZFS, you
> > have to use '--use-ntvfs', the only problem is that this option no
> > longer exists, so you have to ptovision with an earlier version and
> > then update Samba.
> ZFS does not provide POSIX ACLs, it provides NFSv4 ACLs. You need to
> use vfs_zfsacl which requires libsunacl. libsunacl is available in
> FreeBSD ports collection.
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/NFSv4_ACLs describes briefly how it is done.
>
> A typical setup is shown here:
> https://daniel.washburn.at/howtos/freebsd-samba4-zfs-recipe

Stop me if I am wrong, but that smb.conf doesn't look like an AD DC
smb.conf, it looks like it was one once but not now.
I also tried the passthrough trick, but it didn't work, it seems the
trick is as I said, provision with '--use-ntvfs' and then do the
changes to the filesystem and smb.conf.

> I think we need to look into the provision script and add a
> configuration variant for installing with vfs_zfsacl.

We need to do something.

Rowland