Does Samba support UPN authentication using NTLM?

Hemanth Thummala hemanth.thummala at nutanix.com
Thu Sep 1 03:42:39 UTC 2016

On 8/31/16, 2:33 PM, "Isaac Boukris" <iboukris at gmail.com> wrote:

>I think on ms architecture upn and samaccountname have different
>namespace, meaning there is no conversation but if there in an @ sign
>the user is looked up by upn.
>There seem to be no problem with having one user with {samaccountname:
>domain\a, upn: b at domain} and yet another user {samaccountname:
>domain\b, upn: a at domain}.

True. In those cases, it will be impossible to construct the SamAccount name format unless we query the user attributes using LDAP. This(Where SamAccount name different from UPN) works fine against windows. But I couldn't check the account name format used in NetrSamLogon request as it was encrypted. Will be interesting to know how windows deals this conversion.

Thanks,
Hemanth.